Tuesday 30 September 2014

My Favourite Cold Remedies


Winter is arriving, it's that time of year again. Heaters are on, throats are dry, the cold virus is spreading....

The best call of action is prevention. The best prevention? Keep your throat moist! The cold virus loves dry throats as they can stick themselves onto you. Have a moist throat and the virus will just slide off and be digested, as per usual. 


There's lots of remedies that are out there that claim to cure the common cold virus. But lets face it - They just make the journey that bit easier!

Here are my favourite cold remedies - tried and tested by me, and my partner!

For me personally, I feel as though I recover quicker not using commercial over the counter cold drugs, but hey that's just me, I'm a minority.
My partner likes to have his usual favourite shop medicines along with these remedies.

My first personal go to remedy is Miso soup with coconut oil. I personally have a minimum of 6 cups a day, at least 2 cups of which containing a tsp of coconut oil depending how unwell I feel.
I always feel better whilst drinking this. Miso is very good for digestion and coconut oil is antibacterial AND antiviral, so it's perfect to consume during times of illness!

Organic coconut oil and miso paste is best.

You will need 
1 large mug
1 measured tbsp of miso paste (more or less depending on your taste)
half a tablespoon of coconut oil

Add boiled water to the paste and stir till it has dissolved. leave to cool for at least 15 minutes and add the oil  - Stir and be careful not to burn your lips! (that warning is from my own experience...)


Hot milk with coconut oil
This hot drink is great for soothing dry/sore/tickly throats - It's also a healthy yummy winter treat!
I use unsweetened almond milk as I'm allergic to dairy, but you will find that unsweetened almond milk is pretty low calorie too.

1 mug of hot milk (microwave at 80% power for about 1-2 minutes
half a tbsp of coconut oil
1 tsp Coconut sugar 

Leave to cool down before adding the oil to drink. 





Smoothies
A great way to get nutrients and perfect for if you have a sore throat.
Much healthier than ice cream and your body will thank you for the much needed nutrition!
Any smoothie you like will do, but here's an example.

1 chopped frozen banana/mango
half cup seedless berries (blueberries, cranberries, blackcurrants)
half an avocado/apple/pineapple
tablespoon maple or natural syrup (not refined sugar)
Milk of choice - half a pint
tbsp maca powder (optional)





Ice lollies
Great for sore throats and helps ease tickly throats - however can contain a lot of sugar. Why not make your own with real fruit juice, or coconut milk?
for example;
1 tin full fat coconut milk
2 tablespoons Maple syrup/agave
1 cup blueberries or pineapple, or your favourite fruits

Blitz the ingredients together, pour into a lolly pop mould and freeeeeeeeze!

Banana 'Nice'Cream
A great alternative to ice cream is frozen blitzed banana (if you can actually eat banana, unlike me) My partner loves this just as a regular treat and is so easy to make.
soothing for sore throats.
Pre freeze banana chunks so you can make this whenever you feel the need for ice cream!
Just blend one frozen banana with some milk. Add the milk slowly to be sure you don't end up with a smoothie! add a heaped tablespoon of smooth peanut butter to make a protein packed treat!

Mash potato, cabbage and gravy
This mixture makes a very comforting meal and is perfect for sensitive tummies, providing the cabbage is well cooked, and the gravy is gluten, dairy and yeast free. If you can't handle cabbage itself, make a cabbage broth gravy instead as cabbage is very good for the digestive system. 


CurryNot recommended for sensitive tums.
For head colds, the spicier you can handle the better!
Sweat out that cold!

For sore throats, a very mild curry using coconut cream and lots of turmeric will do.
For chesty colds, a mild but very flavorful curry with lots of onions if you can tolerate them
Curry recipe
Rogan Josh Curry


Echinacea 
A traditional herb that is known to help recovery from colds.

Olive leaf extract
Antifungal, Antibacterial, Antimicrobial - This natural supplement could help prevent a cold turning into an infection


If you really need Something to unblock your nose, Nothing works better than good ol' olbas oil in the shower/bath.
You can also buy menthol sweets which my partner swears buy.
When I treat my own coughs I try to only have buttercup cough syrup if I'm desperate, but since discovering miso and coconut oil, I've not needed to head for the medicine cabinet just yet!






Got a favourite natural cold remedy you can't live without? Tried and liked my suggestions?



Leave a comment below! :-) x




No comments:

Post a Comment